Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hugging it out

It can be really hard being a Christian in today's society. When I tell people I believe in God, I feel like I have to totally explain my belief to them before they walk away. But why do people run at the thoughts of Religion or God? I mean, culturally speaking, we have associated these words with people who are-I guess in a way-taking away their free will and a wee bit crazy.

Take for instance the West Boru Baptist Church. For those who don't know about the WBC, they are the people who picket at soldiers funerals. Their major belief is that God is punishing the States for tolerating Homosexuality. These people are extremists. I feel like I have to give them a little history lesson. The 9/11 attacks were carried out by extremists. Hitler was an extremists. Extremists make everybody look bad. Luckily, America is smart enough not to think that Christianity condones the protesting of Soldiers funerals but  they still absorb the fact that those "Christians" are shoving their belief down the throats of anybody who crosses their way and automatically avoids ever wanting to go near it. That is not what Christianity is about. Being a Christian means you love the Sinner, not the sin and try to help them "see the light" on their own terms. The key word in that sentence being LOVE.


I love Love. Love is amazing. It can take you places that you would have never been able to go. It helps you see things, and it shields you. At Camp we talk about love a lot and what it actually means. It's really cute when the younger campers get asked what they think love means and they say something like, "Love is when mommy lets daddy sleep in the same bed even though he's snoring". I mean, aww! As we grow older we understand love and sadly hate differently.

Why can't we just hug it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment